Multiple kernel installs

J. E. Garrott Sr johnga at primenet.com
Fri Mar 9 09:47:17 PST 2001

Kris Kelley wrote:

> I'd like to say that LFS is an excellent introduction to the world of linux,
> particularly the world behind the scenes.  My first run through the LFS book
> went off without a single hitch, at least if you don't count me botching the
> inittab of both my LFS system *and* the Red Hat system it was installed
> from.  Don't worry, I succeeded in fixing both.
>
> My next step is to recompile the kernel, this time paying a bit more
> attention to what each configuration option is and whether it is essential
> to the system I am building.  I would like this new kernel to work alongside
> the one I compiled the first time.  I'm assuming that installing the new
> kernel image itself will be fairly straightforward: recompile, copy the new
> image to a different file name in /boot, and edit lilo.conf accordingly.
> However, I'm unsure of what to do about modules.  Would the new compile
> mangle the module directories installed by the first compile?  How would I
> prevent that from happening, and, if applicable, how would I ensure that
> each kernel image can see the appropriate modules?
>
> I browsed the kernel documentation that came with the source package, but I
> didn't see anything that talked about compiling and installing multiple
> versions of the kernel.  I'm quite certain there is documentation out there
> for this sort of thing, so if somebody just wants to send me a link to where
> I can find the answers for myself, I'll be more than happy.  Thanks!
>
> ---Kris Kelley
>
> --

Not really a problem.  When you untar and unzip the
source, move it to linux-x.y.z  and link it back
to linux. (example: mv linux linux-2.4.0; ln -s
linux-2.4.0 linux).

All the links to stuff in the sources will be
made (check this to be sure!).  All you have to
do to use another version of linux is move the
link.

caveat:  Having a lot of kernel sources around
eats up a lot of disk space.

Good luck,

John

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org