Circumstances that may affect LFS' future slightly

Marc Heerdink marc_heerdink at softhome.net
Fri Mar 9 11:14:11 PST 2001

Gerard Beekmans wrote on Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:35:08 -0500:
> One thing that could speed up LFS is you guys working on the TODO
list. I
> know I've asked it a lot of times but nobody seems to have time either
for
> it. That's fine, I am more than happy to do it myself like I always
have
> done, but right now it means it will take a while to get done so
really all
> the help I can get now is appreciated.

I've told you earlier that I considered it being not very smart to do
all the work yourself. You replied you would love some help, but that
you just didn't get any offers. At this point, help is crucial to keep
LFS as good as it is now.

I know there are many people on this list who wrote hints, additions for
the book, contributed to ALFS etc etc. These people are very good with
linux (of course, not as good as Gerard) and I'm sure many of these will
find some time to work on the book. I won't tell you any names, because
it's up to Gerard to decide who's capable enough to help him. As we say
in Holland: "vele handen maken licht werk"/"many hands make work easy".

> In light of this I'm postponing other things I had planned such as
> redesigning the LFS website, lfs-3.0-pre2 next week and so on until
further
> notice.

Redesigning the website is one of the things you don't have to feel
responsible for. If a "web-team" can be put together, the website will
have it's own maintainers who contribute in that way to the project.
This will leave you the time to focus on LFS 3.0-pre2, maybe together
with some of the people that I already talked about.

Don't be pessimistic about LFS. I'm sure it's possible to release
LFS-3.0-pre2 next week, if we all contribute a bit. The other things are
minor priority.

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc_heerdink at softhome.net