Circumstances that may affect LFS' future slightly

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 9 13:58:49 PST 2001

> What we need to do now is learn to use CVS efficiently. What we shouldn't
> do is make many changes and then commit them. Work will get double-done.
> You make a small change, you change the TODO, and you commit it instantly.
> That's why CVS was invented: so that many people can work together and not
> step on each other's feet.

Even then it's impossible to completely eliminate double work, but that's the
price one pays in this regard. Example: you and i both decide to pick the
same item from the TODO list at the same time, work on it, then commit. Say
I'm first to commit, then you commit yourself overwriting my changes. Unless
CVS has a way to detect that the file you were editing isn't the most current
in CVS anymore and could warn you that you should update first before
comitting...that I want to test out for myself first, so that's why I want to
have people simply email me the changes first. This gives me some time
tonight and tomorrow to properly test things like I should have done months
ago but it just slipped my mind completely. My fault, yes I admit and you can
all scold me for it too. Have fun at it too eh?

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org