Bash make error -- Solved!?

Jason L. Smith jloris at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 11 20:38:48 PST 2001

To refresh anyone's memory, I was getting this error
when trying to compile bash (LFS-2.4.4):

>> rm -f shell.o
>> gcc  -DPROGRAM='"bash"' -DCONF_HOSTTYPE='"i686"'
>> -DCONF_OSTYPE='"linux-gnu"'
>> -DCONF_MACHTYPE='"i686-pc-linux-gnu"'
>> -DCONF_VENDOR='"pc"' -DSHELL -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
>> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -I.  -I. -I./include
-I./lib
>> -I/mnt/lfs/usr/include -g -O2 -c shell.c
>> In file included from shell.h:26,
>>                  from shell.c:45:
>>general.h:190: parse error
before`string_to_rlimtype'
>>general.h:190: warning: data definition has no
>>type or storage class
>>general.h:191: parse error before `int'
>>make: *** [shell.o] Error 1
>><end output>

Gerard took a look at my build attempts, and among
other things, found this in config.log:

> -In file included from
> /usr/include/sys/resource.h:25,
> -                 from configure:3705:
> -/usr/include/bits/resource.h:111: warning:
> `RLIM_INFINITY' redefined
> -/usr/include/asm/resource.h:26: warning: this is
> the location of the
> previous d
> efinition
> -configure: failed program was:
> -#line 3704 "configure"
> -#include "confdefs.h"
> -#include <sys/resource.h>

And he commented:

> Also, my /usr/include/sys/resource.h has no
> RLIM_INFINITY defined. So this is
> probably something from your Glibc version (i use
> 2.2.1, you probably use
> 2.1.x on your host system).

I initially wasn't brave enough to attempt to decipher
the config.log on my own, plus Gerard gave me other
things to check out (that's why I have ncurses
properly installed now). Eventually, though, I took a
look at /usr/include/bits/resource.h, and saw that
RLIM_INFINITY was indeed being *re*defined there.
Increasingly brave or foolish (my programming
knowledge==0.00001), I commented out that definition.
Bash built and installed on $LFS beautifully!  Ahhhh,
my first conquest.

Now, I still have concerns, as I've just mucked with a
header file that I'm sure other programs use.  Should
I change it back now, or leave it as is?

Rah rah LFS!

Jason