3.Opre1: LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Warren Doney wardon at xtra.co.nz
Mon Mar 12 00:36:58 PST 2001

Steve Hayashi wrote:

> I did a search of the mailing list, but the only thing that turned up
> didn't help me too much.  When I try to configure glibc, I get the
> following error:
>
> *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH shouldn't contain the current directory when
> *** building glibc. Please change the environment variable
> *** and run configure again.
>
> How do I change this environment variable and what would I change it to?

>From the configure script:

# Test if LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains the notation for the current directory
# since this would lead to problems installing/building glibc.
# LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains the current directory if one of the following
# is true:
# - one of the terminals (":" and ";") is the first or last sign
# - two terminals occur directly after each other
# - the path contains an element with a dot in it

So,
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

see if it contains anything like : or ; at the very beginning or end,
;; or :: together, or a .

if so:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/same/as/old/one:/with/those/removed

or you might have probs with kde or whatever, or try:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=

To set it blank (log out/in to re set it)

This is  set in /etc/profile, ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile, or ~/.bash_login if you want to change it permanently.

-WBD

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org