MAKEDEV not installing /dev/hdcx

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 12 06:15:33 PST 2001

On March 12, 2001 06:11 am, Michel STEMPIN wrote:
> Sorry, I just found the answer in the archives... I don't think it is
> uncommon to have a disk on the secondary IDE interface. Is it possible to
> include a pointer in the book under "Installing makedev" like:
> "If you have more than one disk, you can create the corresponding
> additional devices by running:
> cd /dev
> MAKEDEV /dev/hdx
> where /dev/hdx is your device (needed when consolidating lilo)"

>From the current book:

Create the device files by running the following commands:

     cd /dev &&
     ./MAKEDEV-temp -v generic &&
     rm MAKEDEV-temp

The "generic" parameter passed to the MAKEDEV script doesn't create all the
devices you might need, such as audio devices, hdc, hdd and ohters. If you
seem to be
missing something tell MAKEDEV to create it. To create hdc replace generic
with hdc. You can also add hdc to generic, so you would execute ./MAKEDEV -v
generic hdc to create the generic set of devices files, plus the files you
need to be able to access hdc (and hdc1, hdc2, etc)

MAKEDEV will create hda[1-20] and hdb[1-20] and such but keep in mind that
you may not be able to use all of those devices due to kernel limitations
regarding the max.
number of partitions.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org