new kernel install. instructions for book

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 13 16:06:39 PST 2001

On March 13, 2001 04:53 pm, Brett wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> I hate to butt in, since I haven't been following the thread.

That's ok

> But the "official" word from linus is exactly that.  Don't have
> /usr/include/[linux,asm] as symbolic links.  Leave the kernel headers
> which were used to compile glibc in there.  That should solve everything,
> correct ????

So that pretty much means that whenever you upgrade your kernel you have to
recompile Glibc. That's a pretty tough upgrade not to mention a lengthy
procedure.

Sure you can keep old kernel headers in /usr/include/linux|asm (old compared
to whatever is in /usr/src/linux). Then one day one of the kernels have some
bug fixes that come with fixed header files which could fix compile problems
with some package. You can't use those header files actually unless you first
recompile Glibc with those header files.

So I'm wondering what exact reasons Linus has for suggesting that. And if
it's just a suggestion (so you don't risc breaking kernel headers when
running a newer kernel) or something that has to be done. I'd like to know
the reasons before making the change in the book. It's on the todo list,
somebody will investigate this (either me or whoever else gets to it first).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org