gzip, gunzip, zcat

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Wed Mar 14 06:15:41 PST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> > ./configure --prefix=/usr &&
> >  make &&
> >  make install &&
> >  cd /usr/bin &&
> >  mv gzip gunzip zcat /bin &&
> >  cd /bin &&
> >  ln -f gzip gunzip &&
> >  ln -f gzip compress &&
> >  ln -f gzip uncompress &&
> >  ln -f gzip zcat
>
> In light of this would you recommend changing every single symlink in the
> book with hardlinks (think bootscripts)?

I think the hard links to gzip are a good idea. However, when it
comes to the bootscripts in the runlevel directories I think it would
be confusing with hard links. Since there are several of them and
they point to the same file from different directories, it would be
hard to keep track of.

(For one thing you couldn't say that name_of_bootscript lies in
/etc/init.d anymore. It would lie in deveral directories.)

Björn

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org