lfs bootable cd hint (update)

Rudolf Floers r.floers at web.de
Wed Mar 14 06:20:11 PST 2001

> When I try to login I get an error, because the /dev directory is read-only,
> so I can't write to /dev/tty0. Does anyone know how to solve this? Is devfs
> a solution? I don't really know how it works... I'm going to find out _now_

hmm, i have not tried devfs yet, but it should work.

if you don't want to use devfs, you can simply edit the login sources,
works for me. i use shadow's login and it says

	Unable to change tty /dev/ttyX: Read-only file system

if that's your problem, i'd suggest this:
login tries to change the owner/permissions of the device file and
exits if that fails. by commenting out the exit(1); in libmisc/chowntty.c,
ca. line 115, you will still get the error msg, but will be able
to login.

hth,
rudolf

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org