gzip, gunzip, zcat

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 14 06:24:34 PST 2001

> I think the hard links to gzip are a good idea. However, when it
> comes to the bootscripts in the runlevel directories I think it would
> be confusing with hard links. Since there are several of them and
> they point to the same file from different directories, it would be
> hard to keep track of.
>
> (For one thing you couldn't say that name_of_bootscript lies in
> /etc/init.d anymore. It would lie in deveral directories.)

I'm also thinking about consistency. Either use symlinks as much as possible
or hardlinks. Mixing them gets even more confusing because it's harder to
figure out which files are hardlinks and which ones aren't. A ls -l reveals
symlinks, you have to ls -i (show inodes) and compare them with other files
to refresh your memory about your hard links.

That's why I chose to use symlinks in the book. I think it's easier to manage
those.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org