gzip, gunzip, zcat

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 14 06:27:49 PST 2001

> symbolic (or sym or soft) links are a bit different. When you create a
> symbolic link, a new inode and data area is used. in this new inode the
> type of the file is changed to sym link instead of regular file, and in
> the data area is stored a string that is the pathname to the linked
> file.  Advantages of sym links are that if you move the old file, and
> replace it with a new one, the new one is used instead (this may be an
> advantage, depends on the situtation). Also, since it's just a string,
> it can point to any file (regardless of if it exists or not), whereas
> hard links can only point to files that are on the same file system.
> Hard links also save a little bit of area on the disk, since they don't
> use up another inode, or data area, but this is usually not important.
> "
>
>     Ba-what's."better".now-lu

;) hard to tell

if we use hardlinks we need to change chapter 4 as we use symlinks there to
directories that don't exist yet (they're created a few steps later). A few
extra 'cd' operations can dance around that problem though. Like my other
email says I like consistency. I think it's a good idea. I think symlink are
easier to manage (and more flexible like the above reminds us of again). I
really don't think the extra inode is that big a deal, really.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org