gzip, gunzip, zcat

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 14 11:50:14 PST 2001

> I thnink the flexiblity is well worth the inconsistency and we should
> follow the "Generally Accepted Practice" (great vague term) that the
> original program authors used (e.g., hardlinks for gzip, etc and softlinks
> for others).

I have no intention in changing the links that the package itself decided on.
If gzip makes zcat a hardlink (as it does) I wouldn't touch that. I'm mostly
refering to things we do ourselves like the /usr/man symlink,
/usr/include/linux|asm (though there is more to discuss there other than just
preference) and

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org