2.95.3

Jack Detrick vze24938 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 18 16:06:49 PST 2001

That's just the thing--GNU is cleaning up its C stuff.  Stricter ANSI
standards compliance means that sloppy code that compiled before with
maybe minor warnings will now _not_ compile.  Some problems may be
minor, and with just a little coding knowledge you may be able to fix
it.  However, the amount of trouble you will have is directly
proportional to the amount of "shortcuts" the programmer(s) used when
coding the application.  I am in no way an experienced programmer, but
it's a good rule of thumb to _not_ assume that the coder of this or that
project abides strictly to ANSI standards.

In the betas and prereleases before 2.95.3, the excuse not to upgrade
was that the code wasn't yet stable.  This is good.  However, now that
2.95.3 is out, your main concern is not whether or not gcc's code is
stable--it's the quality of code comprising the vast expanse of open
source software out there.  I'm waiting until _both_ problems are
resolved, and until it's been proven stable.  I should have done the
same with glibc-2.2, because if I had I wouldn't have had to deal with
these postfix segfaults these last few days.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org