pt_chown and gettext

Marc Heerdink marc_heerdink at softhome.net
Sun Mar 18 16:15:38 PST 2001

Hi all

I'm doing LFS CVS right now, with gcc 2.95.3 and glibc 2.2.2. Two thing that I
have noticed so far: gettext doesn't have to be installed from chapter five
because (quote glibc-2.2.2 INSTALL):

If you change any of the `configure.in' files you will also need

   * GNU `autoconf' 2.12 or higher

and if you change any of the message translation files you will need

   * GNU `gettext' 0.10.35 or later (version 0.10.35 is a alpha release
     and available via ftp from alpha.gnu.org/gnu)

Do we change message translations files? I don't think so... glibc builds and
installes fine without gettext.

The second thing is that pt_chown is installed with this command:

cp login/pt_chown /usr/bin &&
       chmod 4755 /usr/bin/pt_chown

Have you ever tried "which pt_chown" on a non-LFS-CVS system? Right, it doesn't
exist. Not here on two glibc 2.2.1-LFS 2.4.4 systems anyway. Why would we need
it then?

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc_heerdink at softhome.net