libexecdir and i686-pc-linux-gnu-dir

Dieter Scholz dscholz at reido.de
Mon Mar 19 08:56:39 PST 2001

Hi,

I have two questions about the current LFS directory layout:

1.)

Wouldn't it be better, if we put the libexecdir in /usr/lib/libexec?

Why?

because the FHS says:
"/usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries (!) that
are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts."

and because I had problems when installing additional software packages:

f.e. if you want to install emacs with /usr/bin as libexecdir, subdirs would
be created in /usr/bin (I think, this is not FHS-compliant)
f.e. If you want to install gawk with /usr/bin as libexecdir, a subdir awk
would be created (is not possible, because of the mawk - awk symlink)

What's your opinion?

2.)

In my usr hierarchy there is a i686-pc-linux-gnu dir with an empty subdir
include (created by gcc).

Is it possible to delete it without consequences or - even better - how can
I modify the gcc build process so that this directory wouldn't be created.

Thanx in advance,

Dieter

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org