Consoletools using LFS intel-3.0-pre1

Thomas Krennwallner technik at e-moritz.at
Tue Mar 20 03:55:34 PST 2001

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 10:38:02AM +0100, the boisterous wolle <wolle at wollewolle.de> wrote:
> Hi Thomas!
>
> just a short question...
>
> > and this ends in those files:
> > /bin/loadkeys
>
> how do you get that list of installed files?
> i tried different ways, logging what install does or
> finding all files and make a diff... but:
> find is too slow... compiling that stuff takes enough time :)
> and logging what install does (or grep the output of make install)
> is not in all cases sufficient.
> I'm looking for a new good hint!
>
> thanks in advance,
> wolfgang

Well, take a xterm (a normal console has less history), and decode the output
of "make install" with some tricky inbrain sh-interpreter by carefully read
all output (sometimes, when there's tons of output I use "make install | less").
This takes a while, but there's no standardized output in "make install" and
applying a regexp or some tricky shell pipes wont make the thing. So using your
eyes is IMHO the best method to find out, what files were installed.

Also a good thing is to use rpm's BuildRoot variable and set it like this
BuildRoot: /var/tmp/%{name}-%{version}

so all you need to build the package is
%prep
%setup

%build
./configure --prefix=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr
make

%install
make install

%files
/usr/

With this, you will have a fresh root directory and all you need to do is to
specify the prefix a little bit different. Then you can step thru /var/tmp/xxx
and watch what files have been installed and what directory have been created.

I think you need this output for some package management and my mail helped
you (and other people).

So long
Thomas

--
  ___
_/___\    Thomas Krennwallner <technik at e-moritz dot at>

E. Moritz GmbH
office at e-moritz.at
http://www.e-moritz.at/

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org