pt_chown and gettext

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 20 12:01:02 PST 2001

> Have you ever tried "which pt_chown" on a non-LFS-CVS system? Right, it
> doesn't exist. Not here on two glibc 2.2.1-LFS 2.4.4 systems anyway. Why
> would we need it then?

Here's excerpt from my glibc-2.2.1 file that I created while building my
LFS-2.4.4 system:

/usr/bin/mtrace
/usr/bin/pcprofiledump
/usr/bin/rpcgen
/usr/bin/localedef
/usr/bin/catchsegv
/usr/bin/xtrace
/usr/bin/pt_chown
/usr/lib/libnss_nisplus.so
/usr/lib/libieee.a
/usr/lib/libBrokenLocale.a
/usr/lib/libpthread.so

While doing an LFS-3.0 build mtrace and pt_chown are missing so I just want
them added again. Building from chap5 gives those files, so chap6's way has
to do the same.

Whether pt_chown is needed or not is not up to us (it's not needed when using
devpts, but not everbody may use that).

As to the reason of msgfmt. Glibc will complain about the missing file and I
tried building without it. I ended up with less files installed than with
msgfmt installed, but I didnt keep that list so I simply may have done
something wrong. I'll check on it again and I'm sure others will too.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org