new packages

SamBC sambc at nights.force9.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 05:15:42 PST 2001

Okay - lilo vs grub:

Lilo: most widely used.
GRUB: Many distros defaulting to it recently

Lilo: has a menu
GRUB: has a menu (very pretty if you ask me) if you set one up

Lilo: dead easy to set up
GRUB: confusing but easy when you get the hang of it

Lilo: faffing around installing after each settings change - and if
settings are wrong, you need a boot disk
GRUB: change one file. Nothing else. If settings are wrong you still
have the GRUB command line

Feel free to add more...

The main point is the first, however. Most people will want to keep the
bootloader the base distro used, it saves so much bother. This has been
the reason lilo was used. However, many distros (including the popular
Mandrake) now use GRUB by default, and installing LILO is quite likely
to be more bother for these people. And people like the choice. I say
branch the book off at installing bootloader, allowing people to choose,
possibly based on what they already have...

SamBC