libexecdir and i686-pc-linux-gnu-dir

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 21 06:16:45 PST 2001

> Oh, but there is a reason for this. /bin directories will typically
> be a part of someone's PATH. Since internal libraries aren't meant to
> be executed directly, they shouldn't reside in PATH directories, thus
> clogging up the namespace.

I know the reason, I personally, and forgive me to be blunt and my languge,
don't give a shit. If I'm not supposed to execute those binaries then I won't
execute them. As to clogging up my namespace, well we may be talking about 2
binaries here, hardly 'clogging up'.

Yes, when it comes to large multi-user systems it wouldn't be a good idea,
but that's why I'm talking about 'personally' ie. on my own computer. And
running pt_chown yourself doesn't cause any harm.

Perhaps I should write a simplified FHS spec for LFS :)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org