making 'make' - second install

Lab Monkey labmonkey at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 21 12:47:39 PST 2001

3/20/2001 9:45:19 AM, Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

>On March 15, 2001 12:15 pm, Lab Monkey wrote:
>> i am getting this rather strange error when trying to do the make on 'make'
>>
>> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
>>
>> that is the whole error.
>> the 'configure' of make went just fine, so why this part is not working is
>> beyond me. if configure worked, shouldn't there be a makefile for it to
>> find?
>
>does a Makefile or makefile file exist? run make with the -d parameter. You
>will get a LOT of output so you may want to pipe it to a file and have a look
>at it. It should give you more info as to what exactly is going on.

the results i got were, of course, very long, but here are the highlights:

it starts with:

Reading makefiles...
Updating makefiles....
 Considering target file `GNUmakefile'.
  File `GNUmakefile' does not exist.
  Looking for an implicit rule for `GNUmakefile'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `GNUmakefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `GNUmakefile.o'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `GNUmakefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `GNUmakefile.c'.

...and it wanders through several hundred files, giving the same message. occassionally, somthing like this pops up:

    Trying pattern rule with stem `GNUmakefile'.
    Trying implicit prerequisite `GNUmakefile.r'.
    Looking for a rule with intermediate file `GNUmakefile.r'.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `GNUmakefile'.
     Rejecting impossible implicit prerequisite `GNUmakefile.l'.

...and it finally ends with:

Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `s.Makefile.sh'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `SCCS/s.Makefile.sh'.
  No implicit rule found for `Makefile'.
  Finished prerequisites of target file `Makefile'.
 No need to remake target `Makefile'.

always, always, help is truely appreciated.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org