Mount Reiserfs in LFS3.0 pre1

Peter Havshøi havshoei at vip.cybercity.dk
Wed Mar 21 14:16:16 PST 2001

On March 21, 2001 09:02 am, Peter Havshøi wrote:
> Hi
>
> When mounting a reiserfs on my RedHat 6.2 (kernel 2.2.18) I must specify
> the type.
<snip>

I have found the solution.

According to mount's man-page:
    If no -t option is given ... the suberblock is probed for the filesystem type
    (... ext2 .. iso9660 ). If this probe fails, mount will try to read the file
    /etc/filesystems, or if that does not exist, /proc/filesystems.
    Creating a /etc/filesystems can be useful to change the probe order .. or
    if you use a kernel module autoloader.

Redhat have an "/etc/filesystems" and this is not updated when one add's a reiserfs. (or any other filesystem if you do not use a Redhat rpm). That means if "/etc/filesystems" exists "/proc/filesystems" are not probed. The soultion are simple - erase "/etc/filesystems".

LFS does not create this file and therefore "/proc/filesystems" are allways used.

IMO this could qualify to be included in a FEP appendix section.

Just to let you now.

Peter

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org