making 'make' - second install

Lab Monkey labmonkey at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 21 20:19:34 PST 2001

3/21/2001 4:29:12 PM, Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

><snip>
>
>> always, always, help is truely appreciated.
>
>I don't see anything useful in that either. If 'make' actually finds a file
>it wants to use it will print something like the following:
>
>Reading makefiles...
>Reading makefile `makefile'...
>
>The last line tells us that it found the file called 'makefile' and is
>processing it's contents. Can you look at your make -d output again and see
>if you can find similar lines (they don't have to be at the top, they can
>appear anywhere).

i gave the document a very detailed look. while i was looking, i developed a form of mathmatics.

54kb text document + same error message over and over = boring

but i also found these two statements hidden in the document. i think these ones may be the key.
i included the information immediately around them in case it helps.

this appears about 33% into the document:
"...
Trying pattern rule with stem `GNUmakefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `GNUmakefile.sh,v'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `GNUmakefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `RCS/GNUmakefile.sh,v'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `GNUmakefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `RCS/GNUmakefile.sh'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `GNUmakefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `s.GNUmakefile.sh'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `GNUmakefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `SCCS/s.GNUmakefile.sh'.
  No implicit rule found for `GNUmakefile'.
  Finished prerequisites of target file `GNUmakefile'.
 Must remake target `GNUmakefile'.
 Failed to remake target file `GNUmakefile'.
 Considering target file `makefile'.
  File `makefile' does not exist.
Looking for an implicit rule for `makefile'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `makefile.o'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `makefile.c'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `makefile.cc'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `makefile.C'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `makefile.cpp'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `makefile'.
..."

and this comes in at about 66%:
"...
   Trying pattern rule with stem `makefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `makefile.sh,v'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `makefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `RCS/makefile.sh,v'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `makefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `RCS/makefile.sh'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `makefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `s.makefile.sh'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `makefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `SCCS/s.makefile.sh'.
  No implicit rule found for `makefile'.
  Finished prerequisites of target file `makefile'.
 Must remake target `makefile'.
 Failed to remake target file `makefile'.
 Considering target file `Makefile'.
  Looking for an implicit rule for `Makefile'.
  Looking for an implicit rule for `Makefile'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `Makefile.o'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `Makefile.c'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `Makefile.cc'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `Makefile.C'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `Makefile.cpp'.
..."

other than those two, the rest of the document is exactly the same as i mentioned in the last email.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org