Peering over the [cutting] edge

Marc Heerdink marc_heerdink at softhome.net
Thu Mar 22 15:17:34 PST 2001

Ainsley Pereira wrote on Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:07:51 GMT:
> I tried packages without patches first, in case things had been fixed.
> Glibc-2.2.2 caused some problem in rpcgen because gcc -print-file-name=cpp
> returns only 'cpp' and it's expecting a full path. I can post a patch for
> glibc to work around this (when I have net* compiled...), but it would be
> nicer to work out why gcc isn't printing the full path.

When you ln the C PreProcessor (cpp) you would have noticed that cpp is named
cpp0 if you tapped [tab]. Use the autocompletion, and never copy commands from
the book blindly.

> Findutils still requires the patch, as does console-tools. Shadow requires
> fixing to get rid of an error about nflg, as has been discussed on here
> before (again, I can produce a patch if anyone wants), and it doesn't seem
> to have shells/suauth to copy to /etc anymore. I made my own shells with
> just /bin/bash in it, and I don't have a suauth file now.

The fileutils patch is for glibc 2.2.x, so it's pretty straightforward that it's
still needed. I hate that stuff about shadow, it makes me feel unsafe when I
declare nflg to be 0 manually. But it works anyway.

> I'll be installing otherstuff, including X403, gnome-1.4rc1, kde2.1,
> cdwriting stuff, etc soon, but I'm away on business most of this week so
> it'll have to wait a bit. I just hope Civ:CTP still works!

I have a fully operational LFS sys with gcc 2.95.3, glibc 2.2.2, XFree 4.0.3 and
Gnome 1.4-rc1. It works perfectly. The only thing that was causing me major
headaches was the client-space nfs-server, but when it's upgraded to beta 48 the
problems may be gone.

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc_heerdink at softhome.net