Peering over the [cutting] edge

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Thu Mar 22 18:01:44 PST 2001

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 12:11:59AM +0100, Marc Heerdink wrote:
> Neven Has wrote on Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:09:46 +0100:
> > > I'm trying to compile glibc 2.2.2 with gcc 2.95.3
> > > As you say I succeed with (--without-cvs)
> >
> > "--without-cvs" is a work-around.
> > Correct way, used in glibc's CVS, is attached as a patch.
>
> --without-cvs is NOT a work around.

Sure it is.

> Quote from the FAQ, as it comes with glibc 2.2.2:
>
> > 2.33.   The makefiles want to do a CVS commit.
> >
> > {UD} Only if you are not specifying the --without-cvs flag at configure
> > time.  This is what you always have to use if you are checking sources
> > directly out of the public CVS repository or you have your own private
> > repository.

You are checking sources directly out of the public CVS repository ?

> It's completely normal to configure with --without-cvs, as of version 2.2.2.

Right, if you have those "CVS" directories all over the place, but don't want
to commit anything. If you don't have them, no committing will be done (see
the Makefiles, they have a "test ! -d CVS || cvs ..." , so that option is
not needed if you have a release).

But all this has nothing to do with OP's problem, which is:

	Makefile:48: *** commands commence before first target.  Stop.
	make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/glibc-2.2.2/intl'
	make[1]: *** [intl/subdir_lib] Error 2

For solving this, "--without-cvs" IS a work-around.

Like I said, this is already fixed in glibc's CVS:

	(plural.c): Reorder rules so that they work if BISON doesn't exist.

Check that Makefile and the patch I posted.
It _will_ work without "--without-cvs". :)

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org