new packages

Mike Burns netgeek at speakeasy.net
Fri Mar 23 12:01:01 PST 2001

--- Rudolf Floers mumbled on 2001-03-23 10.52.51 +0100 ---
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 06:35:35PM +0100, Jean-Pierre Schwickerath wrote:
>
> > If I may add my salt and pepper...
> > I have alsways been using lilo and I don't see why I should change. All I need
> > is something that allows the computer to switch from the bios boot to the linux
> > boot using the kernel I want. And usually this is the same everytime you boot.
> > (Unless you just compiled a new one and want to test it).
> > On my system, I don't even see lilo, 'cause I set the timeout to 0 secs. I just
> > have linux on my hdd and I don't need a wonderful beautiful marvelous Menu in
> > 1042x768 pixels with antialiased lightening effects and huge sound.
> > Why do it simple if you can do it on a complex way?
>
> i want to second that.
>
> enven if want to be able to choose between to linux kernels or linux
> and FreeBSD, or sth simliar, lilo still is sufficient.

Ah, but what if one wants to boot GNU/HURD, either now or sometime in
the future? LILO has no support for modulated kernel loading.

Also, GRUB is less complex than LILO due to the fact that recompiling
the kernel doesn't require re-running GRUB. Once it is setup you can
forget about it.

--
Mike Burns <netgeek at speakeasy.net> <http://netgeek.ws>
  "...you'll get the entire Internet plus E-mail..."

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org