Enough boot loader wars.. (was Re: new packages)

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Fri Mar 23 12:52:43 PST 2001

Yo,

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 03:01:01PM -0500, Mike Burns wrote:
> Ah, but what if one wants to boot GNU/HURD, either now or sometime in
> the future? LILO has no support for modulated kernel loading.

There are *better* boot loaders then GRUB and LILO (/me points at
NetBSD's boot loader) but that isn't the point.

LILO is the most used and most *well* documented, if you want the book
to point out GRUB then fix up the Hint and file a bug report and get it
done.

> Also, GRUB is less complex than LILO due to the fact that recompiling
> the kernel doesn't require re-running GRUB. Once it is setup you can
> forget about it.

Better safe then sorry, do you always just do a 'make install' on the
kernel and override the kernel your presently running? dear god i hope
not.

It's *far* more easier to install the kernel manually and add an entry
in lilo.conf as you _never_ really know if the kernel is good untill you
have tested it. (and hence, have a backup kernel in case something
happens)

Anyways...

GRUB *is* a good boot loader, allthough there is little point in
discussing this anymore, if you want it mentioned in the book, get to
work ;)

PS, this is not a flame, i'm just getting sick of everyone chanting
'Go! GRUB! Go!' when the problem is easy to fix while i don't see any of
the work getting done (aka don't take this the wrong way, k? ;)

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org