changing cpp links

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Fri Mar 23 14:52:46 PST 2001

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 04:34:36PM +0100, didbaba wrote:
> So my question :
> Is there a difference beetween the cpp binary who live in /usr/bin, and the
> cpp library who live in /usr/lib/gcc-lib...

They are both executable binaries actually.

The one in gcc-lib is _internal_, and it's called by gcc to do the
preprocessing.

The one in bin is a _driver_binary_, like gcc. If you want to do some
preprocessing separately, you would call that one.

> Why do they change from cpp to cpp0, to distinguish ?

Yes. The issue was apparently causing some confusion.

Which brings me to the subject :

It seems that it's recommended that links in /lib/cpp and /usr/lib/cpp point
to cpp driver, the one in /usr/bin, and not that internal binary.
They both work, but doing some searching, I found a few messages from gcc
developers in which they suggest this.

When you think about it, it does seem logical -- gcc-lib/*/cpp, being
the internal binary, to be used only by gcc.

Also, that would explain renaming to cpp0 even more -- forcing the use
of /usr/bin/cpp. If we used that file (for our links) from the start, we
wouldn't have any problems.

Maybe we should change those links ?

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org