[Keystone Slip #46] Change gcc-links

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Sat Mar 24 09:38:39 PST 2001

+-lfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org-(lfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org)-[24.03.01 17:48]:
> Also, that would explain renaming to cpp0 even more -- forcing the use
> of /usr/bin/cpp. If we used that file (for our links) from the start,
> we wouldn't have any problems.

I've read the gcc-installation-docs today. There it says that
"user leverl binaries can be found in prefix/bin"
So I think linking /lib/cpp and /usr/lib/cpp to that one will be
correct just as people said on lfs-discuss.

I'll try that during my next installation (which I hope to get done on
monday).

Other things I've noticed reading that docs (and which might should be
lfs-discussed):

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/download.html
says that it is possible to install binutils together with gcc if you
just unpack the binutils distribution either in the same directory or a
separate one (which then has to be linked to) - even though this might
be shorter I think we should stay with the separate installation. It's
clearer what is going on then, but I don't know if the merged
installation has some advantages. ?!?

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
"These additional options control where certain parts of the
distribution are installed. Normally you should not need to use these
options.
--with-gxx-include-dir=dirname -- Specify the installation directory for
        g++ header files. The default is /usr/local/include/g++."

I am not sure if we need to specify this include-dir - they say it is
not needed, but the default is wrong for us. then again I think it
might be $prefix/include/g++.for default...

"--enable-shared -- Build shared versions of the C++ runtime libraries if
        supported. This is the default on most systems. Use
        --disable-shared for static libraries. Note that up to the gcc
        version 2.95.x series, static libraries were the default on all
        systems."

Looks like --enable-shared is not needed in Chapter 6.

What is --enable-threads for? Is it default?

--enable-cpp creates a shell script which emulates traditional cpp
functionality. Might be useful?

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/build.html
I've noticed that it is possible to "make bootstrap-lean" on systems
where you are short on disk-space. Perhaps add a note to the book?

Also it says that you can save roughly 40% of disk space both for the
bootstrap and the final installation if you build the libraries with
make CFLAGS='-O' LIBCFLAGS='-g -O2' LIBCXXFLAGS='-g -O2 \
        -fno-implicit-templates' bootstrap
(yes I know we have a optimization hint ;-)

That's it for now.

     Ba-reading.docs-lu

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org