Newer releases of binutils and building a new kernel

David Mascall dmascall at bigfoot.com
Mon Mar 26 10:34:20 PST 2001

Hi all,

In getting caught up in the great "space race" to have the latest levels of
everything, I installed a newer version of binutils that I came across.
Unfortunately they have made a change to the ld command which causes an
error right at the end of make bzImage with the kernel.

The version of binutils was 2.11.90.0.1 and kernel 2.4.2

The -oformat (single dash) option of the ld command has been changed
to --oformat (two dashes).

I had to manually edit the Makefile in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot to
change four instances of -oformat to --oformat to be able to complete the
kernel build.

Dave Mascall

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org