AMD K6-2 and illegal instruction

Daniel Gryniewicz dang at fprintf.net
Tue Mar 27 15:07:17 PST 2001

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 08:59:56PM +0200, the boisterous Thomas Krennwallner <technik at e-moritz.at> wrote:
> > one processor type? Should I recompile gcc + glibc with i386-pc-linux-gnu
> > as configure option? I tried to compile rpm with CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -march=i386",
> > but this doesn't work, so I think the prob is in glibc. Can you verify this?
>
> I can verify this (in case someone is interessted in this ;-).
>
> I added the line
> CFLAGS=-O2 -m486 -fno-strength-reduce
> to $LFS/usr/src/glibc-2.1.3-build/configparms and recompiled glibc and rpm ->
> voila, it worked. So my question is:
> why not add this CFLAGS=xx line to configparms. Seems like fixing the cc to
> this will fix some problems with different hardware (when compiling on one
> machine ,-)
>
> What do you think of it?
>
> So long
> Thomas

I'd say don't put it in the book, but add it to a hint.  I, for example, want
my entire distro to be compiled as optimized as possible for an architecture.
(That's not quite true.  I compile i686, so it works on my Duron, my PIII, and
my PII, but not my K6's or Pentiums.)

Daniel

---
        And Jesus said unto them, "And whom do you say that I am?"
        They replied, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the
ground of our being, the ontological foundation of the context of our
very selfhood revealed."
        And Jesus replied, "What?"

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org