Taking LFS further...

Dave Howell Dave3 at rangercom.com
Wed Mar 28 06:01:55 PST 2001

At 14:03 28/03/01 +0100, you wrote:
>After successfully completing my LFS system :-) I was a bit disappointed
>that the guide simply ended and didn't go on to explain how to install
>things like XFree86 from the sources from scratch... I know these sort of
>instructions are probably found elsewhere but it would be nice if they
>were included in the LFS manual...
>After searching for instructions on compiling Enlightenment and finding I
>needed a number of other libraries I was kinda annoyed. I know the LFS is
>by nature a basic system but still, I would have like to have seen some
>further instructions or links.
>
>Gary Hall

The whole point of a LFS system is to build a basic install of linux that
boots up, from then on you can configure your system to your EXACT
requirements. There is no point whatsoever in having stuff like this in the
lfs book thats why the hints section exists. Part of the fun is the
building the system and learning how to do it on the way. If you dont want
to learn anything then i think you might be better off using a distribution
like debian which will do a base install and using the apt command you
could configure the system to how you want e.g enlightenment whatever. Ive
been working on my system for a couple of months now since the base install
was finished and i have it running as a router, smtp server, pop3 server,
firewall etc..... none of this stuff was in the book but the fun was in
finding it out for myself rather than using damn rpm's modifying a .conf
file and not knowing what the hell to do when something breaks!!!!!! i know
my system inside out now because every file that exists is because i put it
there, thats the whole point of LFS!!!!!!

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org