Installing man - problems?

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Wed Mar 28 11:38:08 PST 2001

After "configure -default" during installation of man-1.5i I get the
following (shortened):

        col command:    missing
        vgrind command: missing
        grap command:   missing
        pager command:  missing
        cat command:    missing
        gawk command:   missing
        gunzip command:         missing
        bzip2 command:          missing
        pcat command:           missing
        fcat command:           missing
        unyabba command:        missing

Which made me wonder, because I we've installed some of the programs.

IMHO the problem is in the way the configure looks for the programs. If
I've analyzed it correctly it looks for all the files in $DEFPATH, which
is set using the following construct:

#!/bin/sh
for i in /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin:$PATH
do
  case $i in
    /*)
      DEFPATH="$DEFPATH $i"
      ;;
  esac
done

echo "DEBUG: $DEFPATH"

The DEBUG-echo was added by me to see the output - and I get:

DEBUG:  /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin:/bin /usr/bin /sbin
        /usr/sbin

later another for-loop is used everytime a programm is searched for.

Setting DEFPATH="/bin /usr/bin /sbin /usr/sbin" finds some of the
executables, but that's not as it was invented to be...

Anyway I am too tired to fix the script myself now - perhaps there are
some experts who figure that out outta there.

     Ba-man.man-lu
--
"Linux is like a fractal: No matter how deep you go, there's always
more!" [Casey Bralla, 24.01.2001 in lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org]

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org