advice on GRUB

Marc Heerdink marc_heerdink at softhome.net
Sat Mar 31 11:07:48 PST 2001

John S. J. Anderson wrote on 31 Mar 2001 07:45:01 -0500:
> > > (Oh, and I'll be happy to document this as a patch for the book, once
> > > I've actually done it, if the maintainers are interested.)
> >
> > We're not interested. We'll have a serious look at Grub once it's
> > declared stable (it's still alpha at the moment), and it may replace
> > LILO if it's really better.
>
> Okay. As a suggestion, however, perhaps there could be a line added
> (either in the LILO section or in the FAQ) saying something like
> "Don't mess around installing LILO if you've already got a GRUB based
> system."

We have a TODO item (keystone slip) to integrate pointers to hints at the
appropriate places in the book. So that would be like mentioning the BSD-Init
hint just before the bootscripts are created, and the Grub hint before LILO is
installed. Wait for 3.0-pre2 or 3.0-pre3/final and we'll have this in the book.

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc_heerdink at softhome.net
http://www.koelkast.net/