Problems with an old i386 + net-tools (urgent!)

Florin Boariu florin at bnv-bamberg.de
Sat Mar 31 15:25:26 PST 2001

Hi!

I'm trying to install some linux on an i386. Since a 386 is a terrible
thing to compile on, I did the compiling on an i586-pc-linux-gnu (Pentium
MMX 200).

The problem now is that route and ifconfig both give me an 'Illegal
instruction' -- error, which AFAIK actually means that the CPU cannot
execute a certain instruction.

I compiled all the packages with --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu.

Are there any gcc options I should be aware of when compiling for an i386
(+387 -- the computer does indeed have an FPU ;) ?

This issue is really urgent, since the 386 is aimed to demonstrate the
controlling of (astronomic) telescopes via the internet on monday. I
cannot switch to another computer, there have been made some modifications
to this one's hardware which cannot be done to another computer over
night... so if anyone has any ideas about how to solve the problem or work
around it, a _fast_ reply would be (almost :) life-saving!

Thanks in advance!

regards,
florin.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org