Problems with an old i386 + net-tools (urgent!)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 31 18:29:08 PST 2001

On March 31, 2001 06:25 pm, Florin Boariu wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to install some linux on an i386. Since a 386 is a terrible
> thing to compile on, I did the compiling on an i586-pc-linux-gnu (Pentium
> MMX 200).
>
> The problem now is that route and ifconfig both give me an 'Illegal
> instruction' -- error, which AFAIK actually means that the CPU cannot
> execute a certain instruction.
>
> I compiled all the packages with --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu.
>
> Are there any gcc options I should be aware of when compiling for an i386
> (+387 -- the computer does indeed have an FPU ;) ?
>
> This issue is really urgent, since the 386 is aimed to demonstrate the
> controlling of (astronomic) telescopes via the internet on monday. I
> cannot switch to another computer, there have been made some modifications
> to this one's hardware which cannot be done to another computer over
> night... so if anyone has any ideas about how to solve the problem or work
> around it, a _fast_ reply would be (almost :) life-saving!

Try what Thomas suggested. If that's no go, then simply boot the i386 into
LFS and compile the net-tools package there. net-tools doens't take that long
to compile. Yes, you can boot your system without networking for purposes of
compiling just fine.

So you'd just be following the book. Chapter 8 reboots into LFS, then install
network stuff and sets it up.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org