Problems with an old i386 + net-tools (urgent!)

Florin Boariu florin at bnv-bamberg.de
Sat Mar 31 22:34:05 PST 2001

> I am not sure if this is enough. You might have to add -march=i386 to
> the CFLAGS of your host system.

That doesn't do it, at least not for net-tools alone. The error might me
somewhere else... maybe the libc? I'll do a libc recompile for the i386
and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll try what gerard suggested
-- the problem is, I'll have to insall a compiler first.

I had a similar problem with syslogd, but after recompiling with MACHTYPE
and HOSTTYPE set ti i386-<whatever> it disappeared.

The problem BTW only appears if I try to add a new interface (like
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1), but now when I call it with no arguments (=> print
the if-configurations). Same goes for route. hostname works without any
limitations.

The kernel has been compiled for the 386.

I copied the ifconfig/route binaries from an old install of TurboLinux
(about 1 year old), but they give the same error too. I'm not sure whether
TurboLinux was compiled for the 386 -- anyone have a debian 2.1 around, or
some other glibc-2.1 distro (which he knows it works on 386), to send me
the files?

> (see http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-hints/optimization.txt for
> details)
> >
> > This issue is really urgent, since the 386 is aimed to demonstrate the
> > controlling of (astronomic) telescopes via the internet on monday. I
> > cannot switch to another computer, there have been made some modifications
> > to this one's hardware which cannot be done to another computer over
> > night... so if anyone has any ideas about how to solve the problem or work
> > around it, a _fast_ reply would be (almost :) life-saving!
>
> I hope to see some pictures of an lfs-system that controls a
> telescope...

If I get it to work, I'll upload some on http://skylark.sourceforge.net/.
If it doesn't work, I'll make it work and then I'll upload some ;)

regards,
florin.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org