CVS - where should I build chapter 6 ?

Paulo Andre' fscked at itsari.org
Tue Jun 4 10:00:31 PDT 2002

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:05:21 +0100 (BST)
Ken Moffat <ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net> wrote:

>  Slowly building CVS from 31st May, and trying to make sure I do it
>  the
> same as the book for this run. Got to chapter 6, and started building
> in/usr/src, as is my habit. Checked the book around this area, but I
> can't see where I'm expected to do the building.

That is merely indicative. You can build your sources anywhere in the
system.

>  The first place it makes a difference is the symlinks at the end of
> gcc. I'm not sure I fully understand these, but I certainly don't have
> ../usr from where I'm building, and ../bin is /usr/bin - I'm not
> immediately clear whether /bin or /usr/bin is intended. Is there a
> reason why these symlinks have relative paths ?

I guess you mean these...

ln -sf ../usr/bin/cpp /lib &&
ln -sf ../bin/cpp /usr/lib &&
ln -sf gcc /usr/bin/cc

Well, I don't think the above are entirely correct, so it confuses a
bit. I'd say it's something along these lines (where $LFS is the root of
your LFS partition)...

ln -sf $LFS/usr/bin/cpp /lib &&
ln -sf $LFS/bin/cpp /usr/lib &&
ln -sf gcc /usr/bin/cc

However, I may be mistaken, don't trust heavily on it. Seems alright to
me but you'd want to have a second opinion :)

>  Oh well, back to rebuilding gcc, my timing script only gives me a
>  time if
> the package and associated commands runs to completion. Of course,
> this might mean I'm compiling with files already cached. Anybody got
> any good suggestions for how I can flush the cache ?

make clean? make distclean?

Good luck,

	-- Paulo Andre'
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org