Suggestion - delay chown 0:0

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 9 08:27:51 PDT 2002

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 01:25:03AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  Gerard has stated that one of the aims of building in /static is to allow
> people to easily go back to chapter 5 and rebuild static packages when
> they've got problems in chapter 6. At the moment, $LFS is all owned by 0:0
> before we try to build anything in chapter 6. This means user `lfs' needs
> to `su' before being able to unpack the source if they go back to chapter
> 5. I suspect this gives more scope for people to trash their host system.

We're aware of it, just not sure about a proper fix. One thing that can be
done is just leave /static alone. The problem is, that $LFS/static may be
owned by userid '1011' which is 'lfs' on the Redhat system but doesn't
exist on the newly create LFS system. So far not a big deal. But what if
you create a user "john" on the LFS system a few months down the road who
happens to receive userid 1011, then he'll have write access to files you
don't want him to have write access to.

That little oversight could cause problems later in the future when you
have finished LFS and are still keeping /static around but forgot about
this userid thing.

I've been thinking about perhaps moving it to the end of chapter 6 where we
deal with those misc. software config issues. That would probably fit
better than in your suggested chapter 7. Either way, wouldn't it still
defeat the purpose...The question we have to ask ourselves is how long do
we want/need to keep /static around for.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org