Wondering about Ncurses instructions

Timothy Bauscher timothy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 12 21:57:24 PDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 07:15:01PM -0500, Jack Brown wrote:
>   While reading through the documentation for Ncurses I noticed that
> "--disable-termcap" is actually the default behaviour when configuring
> it.  For the hell of it I tried running the configure script with the
> option and without and both times it left out support for termcap
> fallback, so I propose removing it from the book since it seems to be
> unnecessary.

I have tested this, and here are my thoughts:

1) Compilation went swimmingly w/o --disable-termcap

2) The files the BTB (by the book) ncurses build produces
   also exist with this parameter ommitted. I don't know
   if their sizes are the same though.

3) When captoinfo is launched it says "Can't open
   /etc/termcap", just as it does on my 3.3 build. Its
   purpose is to "convert a termcap description into a
   terminfo description". I find it odd that it's left
   about since termcap is disabled, but it does accept
   files, so maybe it has some wonderful purpose which
   i am not aware of :)

4) I would wipe out this parameter out right now if i
   knew what the hell a termcap was. Instead, i will
   leave my experiences above for a wiser (older) editor
   to digest and go to sleep.

Goodnight.

--
timothy(at)linuxfromscratch.org