One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Jack Brown jbrown at kmts.nospam.ca
Thu Jun 13 07:53:47 PDT 2002

Archaic wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 06:34:21AM -0500, Jack Brown wrote:
>
>>task.  However the payoff might be pretty sweet.  Unlike Linux, The HURD
>>is still in the formative stages and something like "GNU From Scratch"
>>could have a big impact on The HURD's future direction.  Something to
>>think about...
>

> Hmmm. The formative stages. HURD began _before_ Linux. Still seems to be
> vaporware. Could be due to it's inferiority. Back when Linus first
> announced his "little project", he got flamed by many who were talking
> about the superiority of HURD and GNU in general. Of course, he was also
> flamed for using a 386 for the platform. This was '91 IRC. Maybe it will
> be viable some day, but I'm skeptical.

   Well personally I decided to try out the HURd as alark more than
anything else.  However haveing played around with it a bit, I have to
say it's more than vapour ware, it actually works not bad to be honest.
Obviously it's not quite ready for the masses, but it's come along far
enough that you might be intrested in giving it a try just to see what
the differences really are first hand.  (once upon a time Linux was only
something I had heard of, but never tried out, for instance).  also not
to start a flame-war (famous last words) but from what I understand part
of the reason that Linux reached maturity so much quicker was that Linux
focused on creating a workalike for an existing kernel, whereas The HURD
is an atempt to create something new, which has never been tried before.

   On a side note those of you who have tried out the Debian GNU/HURD
install CD's may have noticed that it seems _really_ flakey, with the
translators dying repeatedly for seemingly no good reason.  By contrast,
so far the system I have compiled from sources seems very solid.  Given
Debian's track record sor stability I find this a bit suprising, but
hey, I guess we all knew that building from source was the way to go
anyway right? ;-)

Jack Brown

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org