One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 22 13:13:07 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 12:57:45AM +0000, Mark Hymers wrote:
> Hmm.  I wonder if the --disable-termcap is a hangover from an earlier
> build process then (pre /static seperation or something).
> /me goes to http://cvs.linuxfromscratch.org
>
> I've just looked through the history of the ncurses-inst.xml file and it
> has always been there including (from the looks of it) before
> ncurses-5.2.  I wonder if it used to default differently and we just
> never changed it.
>
> OK, having written the above, I've just looked through the museum and
> this option (--disable-termcap) first appeared in LFS-2.3.6 with the
> following changelog comment:
>
> ======
> * .Chapter 5: Added the --disable-termcap option to configure to disable
>    termcap backward compatibility (if you want to know why termcap isn't
>    used anymore, please read the INSTALL file that comes with the Ncurses
>    package).
> ======
>
> This is with ncurses-5.1 so I'm tempted to think that it just remained
> at the upgrade to ncurses-5.2 and that we've kept it ever since even
> though you say it now appears we don't need it.

Ncurses is the new way of doing what termcap did in the past. If you read
the INSTALL file, it comes down to this "termcap is being phased out in
favour of ncurses". So, let's help along and disable any termcap support
anywhere and stick with pure ncurses stuff (which does include termcap
support in regards to header files. So all you need to do with a termcap
based program is tell it to link to lncurses instead of ltermcap and no
need to change the code of the program itself).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org