What next?

Ainsley Pereira marble at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 27 14:39:01 PDT 2002

In message <sd1b1810.034 at greyhound.com>
          "Charles Lacour" <Clacour at greyhound.com> wittered:

> I have found what seems to be a glaring omission in the LFS. I can't find ftp, lynx, netcat, wget, or anything else I know how to use to download files with.
>
> Obviously, this can be gotten around,  but my impression was that LFS was supposed to be a complete (albeit minimal) Linux instance. If it still depends on a host system to be extensible, I wouldn't say it's complete.

You have bash, what else do you need?
Try:

(echo -e "GET /~clock/twibright/links/download/links-2.1pre1.
tar.bz2 HTTP/0.9\r\n\r\n" 1>&3 & cat 0<&3) 3<> /dev/tcp/atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
/80 | (read i; while [ "$(echo $i | tr -d '\r')" != "" ]; do read i; done; cat)
>links-2.1pre1.tar.bz2

(all on one line.)
Download from other sites by replacing the atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz bit with
the site to download from and the /~clock/... bit with whatever you want to
download.

No need for all this lynx bloat ;-P

~a.

  / Ainsley 'Marble' Pereira / http://www.snowplains.org /