Just a thought on sed

Rob 'Feztaa' Park feztaa at shaw.ca
Thu May 2 21:23:38 PDT 2002

Alas! Ian Molton spake thus:
> I hate perl for one thing,

I love perl. It's sooooo flexible, it's great.

> but I also think we shouldnt rely on perl, only
> 'standard tools'.

The LFS book installs perl as part of the base system. How much more of
a "standard tool" can you get?

> besides, the first is self explanatory, the second is NOT.

Actually, no. There no such thing as a "self-explanatory regex".
Besides, every single time that sed is used in the book, there's a huge
explanation of what it's doing right after it. If we used perl, we'd
have to explain it anyway. We could just mention that "perl -i -pe" does
the same thing as sed, but without the need for us to use a tempfile.

I'd like to know what Gerard has to say. :P

--
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
feztaa at shaw.ca
--
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org