Just a thought on sed

Nicholas Dille darkyeti at gmx.net
Fri May 3 00:31:56 PDT 2002

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 05:16:07AM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> Rob 'Feztaa' Park Awoke this dragon, who will now respond:
>
> >      mv file file~ &&
> >      sed 's/foo/bar/g' file~ > file &&
> >      rm file~
> >
> >  With this:
> >
> >      perl -i -pe 's/foo/bar/g' file
> >
> >  What do you guys think? ;)
>
> I hate perl for one thing, but I also think we shouldnt rely on perl, only
> 'standard tools'.

replying on perl would force us to install it statically in chapter5
beause our first sed is for glibc right at the beginning of chapter6
where perl is not yet installed.

perl is a great and flexible tool but we need stadard shell tools which
we know are already there!

nic.

--
rakshas at quietude / 7793747 / rakshas dot de
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org