Just a thought on sed

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri May 3 15:18:40 PDT 2002

It is widely believed that on Fri, 3 May 2002, timothy bauscher wrote:

> i don't dislike perl, but IMHO i think it's
> 'behind the times'. i'm more of a C, PHP, BASH
> script kind of guy. i haven't looked at python
> though; does anyone have any thoughts on python?

 My only experience of Python is that most RedHat derived distros seem to
use it in the install routines, and many of them break for me. It also
generated one of the more virulent flamewars on l-k when there were
attempts to force people to use it for the new build system.

 I don't care what you do with your lfs when you've built it, but Python
is way over the top for building lfs. Remember that you need to link all
the critical tools statically. We don't use perl in chapter 5, sed is more
efficient. (I will agree that perl's documentation is better, and I like
perl when I can remember how to code it.)

 But overall, patch is the way to go.

Ken
--
pppg_penguin.linux.bogus 2.4.17-jl15-ll 1998.84 BogoMIPS

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org