Just a thought that popped into my head

Marc Heerdink marc at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 6 02:29:09 PDT 2002

Op ma 06-05-2002, om 06:11 schreef Jeff:
> When we go to LFS4.x would/should/could there be a hint/suggestion/blfs item
> to deal with putting gcc2.95.3 on the system beside gcc3 to cut down on a
> possible influx of support questions dealing with packages (non-LFS) that
> don't yet comply with gcc3? Again, this just popped into my head and I thought
> it might bear some pondering by others.

I think that would be perfect material for a hint. It just doesn't seem
to be right to (recommend to) install two versions of a package to
retain backward compatibility. libc5 programs don't run on LFS either,
but we don't install glibc 1.x next to 2.x either... soon all
pre-compiled programs (the two or three that might be used on an LFS
system) will be compiled with gcc 3.x anyways.

--
         (__)
         (oo)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org