Just a thought on sed

Phil Gendreau phil at xmailer.ods.org
Mon May 6 05:32:03 PDT 2002

* Nicholas Dille <darkyeti at gmx.net> [2002-05-06 10:18]:
> i said that $(sed 's/foo/bar/' file) might
> produce a string which contains ` and ' to delimit values or substrings.
> if that happens you will get a string similar to what you quoted from my

Hi Nicholas,
could you provide a concrete example?
I don't see where it can break, but would like to.

echo foo\`temp\'bar
does produce a string which contains ` and ' but
echo "$(echo foo\`temp\'bar)" just outputs foo`temp'bar.
(e.g.: it is not executing echo "foo`temp'bar" so
echo "$(command)" = command for what I can see)

phil
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org