Just a thought that popped into my head

Ian Molton spyro at armlinux.org
Mon May 6 09:33:45 PDT 2002

On 06 May 2002 11:29:09 +0200
Marc Heerdink <marc at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> > When we go to LFS4.x would/should/could there be a hint/suggestion/blfs item
> > to deal with putting gcc2.95.3 on the system beside gcc3 to cut down on a
> > possible influx of support questions dealing with packages (non-LFS) that
> > don't yet comply with gcc3? Again, this just popped into my head and I thought
> > it might bear some pondering by others.

LFS 4 will use gcc3.x?

that seems like a Really Bad Idea (tm) if what I am reading on the GCC mailinglists is true.

3.0.x has many regressions from 2.95.3
3.1.x has even more

To me the GCC project looks to be in a state of extreme flux and not production grade at all.

Im sure it'll be fine eventually, but right now I think gcc 3.x is a mistake.

3.5 might be useable at the current rate of development.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org