LFS Goals and Future

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 6 10:25:02 PDT 2002

This started as a thread on lfs-support but I'm moving it to this list now
where it really belongs at the moment. The thread started as "GCC needs to
be included notes re:patch". Read lfs-support for the beginning, then
continue with this email. I'm replying to the mail from Bill with this
header:

=====

I've been quiet the last few days (been having long days at work, too tired
to even look at my email let alone answer anything) and have used them to
think about what LFS means to me, what I want to do with it, and all those
things I talked about a few days ago.

My goal is still to teach. To be more exact: teach people how to build a
(customized) Linux system from scratch. The target audience for the book
are the more advanced Linux users. I'm not talking about guru's, sysadmins
and such, but more advanced in the sense of people knowing what symbolic
links are, how to create partitions, mount them, format them, are
comfortable on the command line and not just able to work with GUI apps to
get the job done.

Now, I don't mind at all helping out Linux newbies, but the book is not the
place. There is no room to write a Linux tutorial inside the LFS book so
all people can use it. However, the mailinglists/newsgroups can be a
resource that newbies can use to ask for additional help. I don't expect us
to run "linux tutorial lists". With this I mean I don't expect us to start
explaining in full detail what exactly a symbolic link is, what it does,
the advantages and disadvantages of it but we can help out to clear up some
confusion people might have (misconceptions, unclear about the syntax even
after reading the man page) but to a point where it applies to LFS.

Coming back to the LFS book itself: the target is people with a higher
level of knowledge of the command line and knowledge of commands. The book
will be reverted back to that over time. It probably won't be a one big
change-over but more a gradual change. For example when symlinks are
created, the command explanations will only explain why that particular
link is created, not what the command itself does (this fits in the realm
of properly adding comments to source code of any program: explain what it
does, not how it's done. The 'how' part can be extrapolated from the
source itself, but not your rationale behind the code, which is what you
want to convey in comments).

Any questions?

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org