LFS Goals and Future

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 6 10:56:23 PDT 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 01:52:21PM -0400, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:
> issue raised by Seth W. Kline, raised in the below post. In there he

I just finished reading those messages after I sent my one to this list.

My decision: i'm staying manual. I'm focussing on teaching people to build
a Linux system for the first time, I'm not focussing on the mass market and
people who already have done it and now need some automation because
manually installing a dozen or hundreds of PC's is not a viable option, no
matter how great LFS is.

But, that's ALFS work and ALFS is independant of LFS. I'm overseeing ALFS
globally but am not involved right now in the nitty gritty coding work,
syntax and other work that goes on. That's what Jesse is for (and in the
same way Mark for BLFS. I look at BLFS but don't interfere unless needed).

ALFS would be the answer to all the automation questions and concerns. It
will take away as much manual labour as the user wants taken away. You can
use an ALFS tool and still do most of the work yourself if you wanted to
(at least that's the end goal in mind, we're not that far along though).

But unfortunately I don't have all the time in the world to work as much on
LFS and ALFS and other side projects. Little time I have, I need to spend
it all on LFS and the rest is done by other people. Whatever is done and
not done, is to be directed to those people (or better alfs-discuss list
and the blfs-dev list). LFS itself isn't going to shift focus. Automating
things will take away from the learning experience, so it won't happen. And
that's final. There's of course things like bootscripts. You can learn a
lot from typing them all out yourself like we used to do. But the same can
be said for Glibc, right? You can learn a lot by typing out the Glibc
source code (while taking the time to learn what you are typiong, not just
blindly doing it).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org